What is better than having a bicycle with an engine on it that you don’t have to pedal? A bicycle with an engine and a nitrous kit. Even though as the engine started to break in it gained speed and power, after watching the new Fast and Furious movie, who would say no to the cheater juice? When I first put the motorized bike together it barely wanted to start, but after I got it going and warmed up 21 mph was as fast as it would go.
I zip tied an old cell phone to the handle bars and downloaded a gps speedometer app to see how fast I was going, which actually worked well and was 37x easier than the piece of crap speedo that came with the kit. Not only was it in Km/h, which doesn’t even exist in glorious america, but the part that fits on the wheel hub wasn’t even close to fitting on the bike I used. 2 zip ties and a free cell phone was the first step down a crazy (and probably dangerous) path in pushing the limits of this janky cycle.
After riding the bike, which we named “The Steel Pony”, for a few days and ~25 miles, the top speed increased to an impressive, but not so impressive 31 mph. It was starting to get sketchy to ride without safety equipment since this regular mountain bike was obviously never intended to have some idiot Frankenstein some crap from china onto it or go over ~20 mph. Well, I didn’t actually have any safety equipment and that certainly wasn’t going to hinder my attempts to push this thing to 88 mph and go back in time.
I started looking online for speed parts for these Chinese bike engines and came across some carburetors, cylinder heads, mufflers, and finally a nitrous oxide kit. Having used nitrous before, I knew this shit was no joke when it comes to performance gains and let me tell you… it delivered. The kit I bought is basically a 16g whip cream charger with a tube that goes to your intake, which isn’t the best I found out after riding it. The nitrous kit only supplies nitrous oxide and no extra fuel so you can’t use very much without going super lean and causing a nitrous backfire in your intake (which I did immediately :p).
The other and probably biggest con of this kit is the long tube from where you can control the flow of nitrous on the handlebars to the intake. I found out how bad this is when I was screaming down the road at 34 mph (which is fast af on this thing), hoping the engine didn’t grenade between my legs as I sprayed all 16 grams and then quickly needed to stop when I ran out of road. Even though I let off the throttle, all that nitrous was still in the tube/intake and ignited with the 2 cycle oil that was in the cylinder. The engine basically ran away for a few seconds while I was trying to stop and I drifted The Steel Pony for the first time (and hopefully last).
The record for now is 37.46 mph, I managed to squeeze another 3 mph out of it today by filling all the small vacuum leaks with super glue and adjusting the carburetor setup to be as rich as it would go. It’s already really sketchy at 37, but I want to see if it will go at least 40 before the piston pops off… and I have 47 more nitrous oxide cartridges to get there. 😉